If you have never done any e-mail marketing it might seem complicated to set up your first automated e-mail flow. But I am here to help you with this straight to the point no fluff guide, when you are done with it you will have an automated welcome flow that sell products.
Before you begin, you need to go to Mailerlite and create a free account. Mailerlite can be integrated with all the best website platforms like Shopify, Wix, Wordpress/Woocommerce.
I recommend you to have your text and graphics ready, if you want a swipe file and ready-made editable Canva graphics, you can shop it here and if you want to write your welcome flow yourself I have have a whole blog posts about what it should include here
Okay let's get started:
I recommend Mailerlite for all new businesses because they have free customer service, they have great features, easy for beginners and they are free until 1000 subscribers. However, if you have another e-mail provider you can just use them. You can still follow the guide on how you should delay and use triggers.
1. Create a free Mailerlite account, connect it to your website, and open it.
- Go to automation.
- Click on create a workflow and give it a name like "Welcome flow"
- Click on email automation. Click on workflow trigger and click on "when subscriber joins a group". Then you create a new group called "New sign-ups" (Later you will create a sign-up form, don't worry it's super easy, and I'll show you how. Don't forget to tick the box called Activate e-commerce tracking for this workflow. Hit the save button.
- Add your first email to the welcome series by hitting the + icon and selecting Email from the list of options. This will cause the email to go out as soon as anyone joins the group New signups. Fill in the required information and hit design email to create your welcome message.
- Click on the "Design email" button and then "create new" and then use the drag and drop editor. Remove the blocks already there, except the top block, which is a logo block. Click on it and click on change logo. Now you import your own logo. You can also delete the block and drag an image block from the right side of the editor. Click on it and insert your e-mail header. Remember to insert an URL to your store and check off the open link in the new tab.
- Now you drag in another image block and you can use one of the large welcome graphics from my templates pack or you can create your own. Remember to link into one of your product pages, bestsellers are the best choice. Or you can use the small welcome graphics.
- After that, you insert a text block where you insert the text from the text templates, or you can write your own. Remember to insert a button block with a link and call to action. Don't forget to customize the button with your own brand colors and font, you do that by clicking on the block and going over to the right side of the screen, click on settings, here you can change everything from alignment, color, and font.
- Don't forget to check off the "apply to all newly added blocks" too, this will save you a lot of time. Add a call to action and link to one of your product pages.
- Drag a gallery block into the email and add photos of your 3 best-selling products and remember to add links directly to them. Edit the helpful link section with a link to your FAQ page and return policies, this is something everybody who shops online want's to know. Don't forget to update your footer with info about your shop. Click done editing in the right corner
2. Next step is adding your second email to the flow. Start by hitting the + sign, click the Delay block, and set the wait time to 24 hours. This will send the second email 24 hours after the first one.
Design the email like the first one, just use the text and graphics from the second email template in my template pack or create your own.
Remember to add a product block under your text, and link to three different categories on your website so you can see what interest the reader the most, this will help you segment your emails later on. Also, remember you can insert divider blocks between every block to create more space. Click done editing and you set up another delay, set the time for 12 hours.
3. Design the next e-mail like the first two, insert the graphics and text from the templates you have bought from me, or the ones you have made yourself, and remember to insert a product block with links, and click finish.
4. This was the promotional e-mails and we now hope that the customers have bought something. Maybe they haven't yet, maybe they need to feel like they know you/your brand better than they do.
So now we added the final e-mail to the welcome flow. A relationship-building e-mail, where we tell the story about how it all began and some exclusive behind-the-scenes tips. In Mailerlite you click on the + in your flow and add a delay for 3 days. Then you click on + again and add the final e-mail.
Insert your graphics and text and remember to add a product block after the text. Even though this is a storytelling e-mail, we are still interested in selling something, right😉
Now your welcome flow is done, if you ever feel like you want something added to it, you just click on +, set the timer, and add another e-mail and now everything is running automatically. You can add as many e-mails as you like. This is why it's called a flow.
Do you want to save time and set up email flows that actually convert? Then get my email templates
You can buy my email templates right here 12 templates with written swipe files, graphic files from Canva and a guide on how to set up the most important email flows - grab them right here
I have templates for both product based businesses:
I understand the importance of creating a seamless customer journey from the moment someone joins your email list to when they make a purchase. My email flows are designed to educate, inform, and persuade your subscribers to take action and become loyal customers. My templates will help you to create a flow that highlights your services & products' unique features and benefits and drives sales.
Do you want me to do all the work for you, and set up your email flows?
Are you tired of sending out countless emails to your subscribers and getting little to no engagement? Are you struggling to convert your email list into paying customers? Look no further than my email consultant services!
If you are looking for a done for you service, click here and fill out my contact form.
I specialize in creating customized email flows for both service providers and product-based businesses. My 10 years of experience working with L'Oreal, Tefal & elf Cosmetics will help you reach your target audience, goals, and brand voice to create an email strategy that will drive engagement and conversions.
DON'T FORGET TO PIN THIS